Monday, January 28, 2013

Books Read in January

1. BEHIND THE BEAUTIFUL FOREVERS: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity by Katherine Boo


Recommended: Yes.
I don't usually read nonfiction, but this book is engaging, narrative nonfiction. It reads like a novel and you'll learn a ton about a place you probably don't know much about (at least I didn't). 



Recommended: Yes.
This is a historical, paranormal YA, so I recommend it if you like any of those things. Also if you like the 1920s. Also if you like ghosts and creepy things. Also if you like adorable, charming characters. I actually recommend anything by Libba Bray. I've read all six of her books and she never disappoints. She's awesome.

3. MIDDLESEX by Jeffrey Eugenides 


Recommended: Hmm...hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
To be honest, I don't know yet. I haven't finished this one -- I got distracted by another amazing book which will have to go on my February list. I have heard from many, many people that Middlesex is a terrific book. And I can tell it is, but the narrative style doesn't really do it for me. So I would recommend it in general, but certainly not if you're looking for a fun, quick read. If you're looking for a novel with depth, yes, for sure.

~

If I want to read 50 books this year I have to average four books a month, not three! I'll try to do better next month. 

Happy reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment